Watch a snippit of Patricia's interview with Edmore

Watch a snippit of Patricia's interview with Edmore
It's FREE! And very inspiring!

Friday, July 10, 2009

All dreams come true…


All dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Most dreams are bound to come true when one bravely commits him or herself to the process of bringing the dream to reality.

I launched my second volume of poetry, The Song of My Heart, last month but the road to that has not been always easy.

I began my career as a writer twelve years ago.  It was a 'humble beginning.' I entered my school's inaugural poetry competition and, to my surprise, I received third prize for one of my entries.

The school also ran a story writing competition during that same year.  I received the overall prize for my entry after my teacher had been questioned whether she had not written the short story for me.

The same thing happened for most of my entries to subsequent poetry and story writing competitions.  At the time of leaving the school I was awarded a prize for communications after having being the school newspaper's editor for two consecutive years and won first prizes at all poetry and story writing competitions three years in a row.  

During those years, I also took up creative writing as a hobby.  It was wonderful to see what I could do with words.  I enjoyed it so much that I made a resolve to write a book of poems and short story while I was still at school.  

In pursuit of my dream, I made an enquiry on publishing procedures at one of the local publishing houses – when I was in Form Three.  They told me that they were not interested in poetry. Nevertheless, I continued writing poetry, believing that one day I would get my poetry published.

When the school was compiling its anthology, I was offered to have all my "best" writings published in it. However, I declined the offer because I believed that I was good enough to have my poetry published alone.

My entries for all of the competitions I had entered and won were, however, published in the anthology.  I had the opportunity to attend the launch of the anthology and gave a short speech at the occasion.

When I moved on to high school I met and befriended the daughter of one of the local poets…

<<The second half of this article will be published in next week's issue of Inspiration Online>>

This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content and cleared by MailMarshal

No comments: